Ovarian Cycle Birmingham
Thank you to EVERYONE who had a hand in making Ovarian Cycle such a huge success. We could not have done it without our riders, sponsors, volunteers, instructors, and donors! We had an awesome group of 75 riders participate this year. Not only have we raised over $40,000 for ovarian cancer research thus far, we have lifted spirits, offered hope, and provided a community of support for our survivors and for family members who have been touched by this terrible disease. We couldn’t have done this without you!
Thank you to our 2015 sponsors:
WHY IS IT IMPORTANT TO PARTICIPATE?
- Ovarian Cancer is the fifth leading cause of death among women in the United States and is the most deadly of all gynecologic cancers.
- Ovarian Cancer is not an uncommon disease occurring in 1 of every 71 women.
- When ovarian cancer is detected early, before it has spread beyond the ovaries, more than 90% of women will survive longer than five years. Only 19% of women are diagnosed in the early stages.
- Currently, 50% of women diagnosed with ovarian cancer die from the disease within five years. When diagnosed in advanced stages, the chance of five- year survival is only 44%.
- Ovarian cancer is often difficult to diagnose because symptoms may be subtle, are easily confused with other diseases and because there is no single reliable easy-to-administer screening tool.
- A woman can get Ovarian Cancer even if her ovaries have been removed.
- Every dollar raised from Ovarian Cycle goes to further research and awareness of ovarian cancer. Every dollar makes a difference in the lives of so many.